OPFA has established statutory and standing committees to ensure the maintenance of a high standard of professional practice by members of the Association, to protect the public interest and to satisfy the requirements of the Professional Foresters Act, 2000. The Statutory Committees as defined in legislation are:
Standing Committees are optional and traditionally, Council appoints a Chair who has the authority to add members. The Standing Committees are:
- Annual Conference
- Awards and Recognition
- Competency Support
- Editorial Board
- Finance and Audit
- Registration Appeals
- Forestry Practice Committees (Urban Forestry, Crown Land Forestry and Private Land Forestry)
All Committees function through the volunteer efforts of OPFA members and may include appointed lay members.
A brief outline of the statutory committees follows. Please contact OPFA office for a current list of members on any committee.
The Committee performs the functions of Council as delegated to it by Council, and as specified in the Act, Regulations and By-laws of the Association. This Committee may exercise the powers of Council with respect to matters that require immediate attention save changes to By-Laws or standards adopted in the Regulations and By-laws of the Association.
Chair: Greg Pawson, R.P.F. (President)
Council Members: Peter Street, R.P.F. (Vice President); Astrid Nielsen, R.P.F. (Past President), Richard Raper, R.P.F. (Elected Councillor)
Public Member: Susan Gesner
The Committee will ensure the continuance of a high standard of membership in the Association and will ensure the fairness and equality of admission decisions by:
- reviewing applications;
- applying admission qualification criteria;
- instructing the Registrar to issue licences to practise;
- imposing conditions and limitations on licenses where appropriate;
- identifying candidate deficiencies for potential members;
- reconsideration of admission appeals;
- establishing and implementing an examination process for non-university or non-forestry graduate applicants; and
- setting and overseeing examinations
Chair: Paul Poschmann, R.P.F. Vice Chair: Sarah Sullivan, R.P.F.
Members: Ulf Runesson, R.P.F.; Jim McCready, R.P.F.; Jack Harrison, R.P.F.; Frank Knaapen, R.P.F.
Council Member: Tom Ratz, R.P.F.
Public Member: Mark Kuhlberg
The committee will ensure the maintenance of a high standard of professional practice by members of the Association and protect the public interest by:
- investigating complaints of misconduct, unskilled practice or incapacity against members and former members of the Association, received from within or outside the Association;
- referring cases investigated to the Discipline Committee for disciplinary or remedial action; and
- referring cases investigated to the Registrar for action.
Chair: Dave Puttock, R.P.F.
Members: Brian Barkley, R.P.F. (Vice Chair); Jeff Barton, R.P.F.; Allan Foley, R.P.F.; Bill Hubbert, R.P.F., Jeff Muzzi, Associate
Council Members: Aaron Palmer, R.P.F.
Public Members: Dianne E. Miller, Susan Gesner, Richard Gasparini
The Committee will ensure the maintenance of a high standard of professional practice by members of the Association and protect the public interest by:
- hearing, considering and deciding on matters requiring disciplinary action against members and former members of the Association;
- imposing penalties where deemed appropriate;
- directing the Registrar to implement actions/penalties; and
- hearing and deciding appeals against penalties and on applications for reinstatement of licensed privileges.
Chair: Ed Tear, R.P.F.
Members: Rob Tomchick, R.P.F., Ken Elliott, R.P.F., Chad Anderson, R.P.F., Denis Gagnon, R.P.F.
Public Member: vacant (to be filled prior to a discipline hearing)