Sponsoring a Candidate for Membership
The purpose of the sponsorship process is to provide the Registrar and the Registration Committee with an assessment of whether an applicant has the knowledge, skills and experience required to become a member of the Ontario Professional Foresters Association. Therefore, the sponsor has a number of responsibilities. These include:
- Providing advice, guidance and mentorship to those seeking membership in the Association;
- Supporting the applicant throughout the entire application and registration process;
- Ensuring that the applicant is familiar with the Professional Foresters Act 2000 and its objects;
- Ensuring that the applicant understands the Associations mandatory Competency Support Program requirements;
- Ensuring that the applicant is familiar with each element of the Association’s Code of Ethics;
- Ensuring that the applicant is familiar with the definition of Professional Misconduct and associated processes;
- Recommending the class of membership requested by the applicant including any limitations (including Geographic limitations) associated with the scope of practice requested by the applicant for Associate Membership;
- Attesting to the applicant being of good character; and
- Having first-hand knowledge of the abilities of the applicant while performing their duties at a professional level.
Sponsors from Ontario must be members in good standing of the O.P.F.A. for a minimum of 2 years. (Note: Non-RPF sponsors for Associate members candidates must have been working or resident in Ontario for at least the last 5 years.) For sponsors qualifying an applicant’s experience from outside the province of Ontario, a Registered Professional Forester or a sponsor with equivalent credentials may be used at the discretion of the Registration Committee. In exceptional circumstances, such as when an applicant has not been directly associated with the sponsor for a significant period of the qualifying experience, an R.P.F. may sponsor an applicant if they can review the individual’s work and interview the applicant, supervisors and colleagues to the extent necessary to confidently express judgments as required of sponsors.
The Registration Committee may request clarification or additional information from the sponsors. Sponsors must be familiar with the Legislation and By-laws governing the Association and the most recent O.P.F.A. guidelines for membership. Sponsors should discuss their comments with the applicant and provide any further assistance in submitting the required information for membership.
Sponsors are to complete the Sponsorship Form when they believe the applicant has completed the required 18 months of relevant, post-secondary, forestry-related experience. All completed sponsorship forms are kept confidential.
Download the Sponsorship Form.
Download the OPFA Sponsorship Instructions.