This site may provide links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. Because we have no control over such sites and resources, we do not endorse and are not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources.
Information About Forests in Ontario
- Renewing and Protecting the Forest
- Monitoring and Reporting on Ontario's Forests
- Guides to Managing Ontario's Forests
- What Trees grow in Ontario? Tree Atlas
- Have a say in the future of our forests
- Are you eligible for property tax savings?
- Learning Resources in Ontario, this page provides access to classroom lessons about forestry learning for teachers and educators. A list of schools offering post-secondary programs in forestry and general assistance information is available for students seeking careers in forestry.
- Canadian Forests, Internet gateway to forestry and forest products.
- Canadian Forestry Links, this site includes links to the following: associations, bio-diversity, companies, forest fire, forest products general, geographical information, government, model forest network systems, publications, research forests, sustainable forests, universities.
- Ontariowoodlot.com - Forest Services Directory for Landowners, search for information on services provided by forest consultants, tree markers, loggers, tree nurseries, saw mills, forest health technicians and other forest related services and specialists.
- Forest Glossaries and Dictionaries, a collection of web sites containing forestry terms and definitions.
- Conservation Ontario is the network of 36 Conservation Authorities, local watershed management agencies that deliver services and programs that protect and manage water and other natural resources in partnership with government, landowners and other organizations.
- Canadian National Forest Inventory, this site provides information on forest conditions, monitoring and reporting in Canada.
- National Forestry Database Program, this web site presents annual updates to some of the forestry statistics most commonly used domestically and internationally.
- State of Canada's Forests, an annual report on the state of Canada's forests looks back at some of Canada's notable accomplishments over the past ten years, and how they meet the Rio Forest Principles.
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry: State of Ontario's Forests is a non-technical, plain language reporting that serves to inform the public about the health and management of Ontario's natural resources, while promoting citizen engagement.
- Monitoring and Reporting on Ontario's Forests, (Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry), forest management operations in Ontario are monitored and audited to assess compliance and to evaluate progress and report results to the public.
Ontario's Forest Industry
Information regarding Ontario’s forest industry can be found at:
- Forest Industry Development - Ontario Government, Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Who We Are - Ontario Forest Industries Association
Ontario's Tenure and Licensing System
Forest Tenure is the term commonly used to describe the allocation and licensing of timber from Crown forests. Tenure is governed by legal arrangements that define the rights and responsibilities assigned to forestry companies and other resource users.
The allocation and licensing process is governed by the Crown Forest Sustainability Act, 1994 (CFSA) and its regulations. In Ontario, access to forest resources from Crown lands is provided by mechanisms available under Part 3 of the CFSA which include Supply Agreements, Sustainable Forest Licenses and other Forest Resource Licenses.
For more information on Ontario’s Tenure and Licensing System please visit Forest Tenure Modernization - Ontario Government, Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.
Forestry Related Websites
- Ontario Trees & Shrubs
- Ontario Tree Atlas
- Wood Furniture - Identify That Tree
- Tree Canada
- About.COM Forestry
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)
- Forest Stewardship Council - Canada (FSC)
- Forest Stewardship Council - International
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
- Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001)
- Certification Canada